Sunday, February 12, 2012

Leviticus 1-10

Lev 1-4


The goal in all of it is making ourselves right with God and worshiping Him in a way where He will be glorified through our acts. It talks about the Old Testament ways of worship and making one's self right with God as "soothing aroma to the LORD". We may not have to do sin offerings, peace offerings, or burnt offerings like the Israelites did, but we do have to give God our all! We are missing blessings when we do not worship Him. For me, I need to think about how I can worship God in a more pleasing manner. How can I glorify God? Can I really glorify Him in what I eat or drink? How can I honor God with my body, life, and each breath I take?


Lev 5-10


Chapter 5
When we have guilt, we need to recognize our sin and ask for forgiveness (Lev 5:5). The scripture talks about the sin of not speaking up. We may not have to do a sin offering, but we do need to recognize it as a sin and not only speak up next time, but asking for forgiveness.


Chapter 6
When we deceive someone about something we have of theirs or have stolen, we also need to recognize it as sin and not only give it back, but we need to ask God for his forgiveness. We may have missed blessings, because it is the price of reaping what we have sown.


Chapter 7
The guilt offering: We have an advocate who intercedes on our behalf. Jesus came and became our sin offering to be our atonement!
The fellowship offering: There is a great difference between giving an offering out of thankfulness and out of vow. I did not realize how much until I came to this verse. We need to be more thoughtful in the motives of our heart: Are we giving out of love? Or, out of commitment?


Chapter 8-9
Moses ordained Aaron and his sons, just as God commanded. He did everything as the Lord commanded. Each smaller aspect of the ordination was a soothing aroma pleasing to God. On the eighth day, Aaron and his sons carried out the sin offering for the congregation of Israel for the first time, just as God prescribed. They carried out numerous types of offerings. The glory of the Lord appeared to all people! This is what ministry is. It is doing the Lord's work his way, and letting others find out who he is so they can be filled with joy and made right with him!


Given what priests do, it makes sense that they would do burnt and sin offerings as part of their ordination. A contempary version of this is: when someone is being ordinated, they may preach the day of their ordination. I believe God has specific ways for us to worship Him. For the Israelites, it included burnt offerings. For me personally, I can worship God with my talents. I can worship Him in my messages I deliver to the children on Wednesday nights. Our worship should include using our spiritual gifts.


Chapter 10
Two of Aaron's sons die because of their sin against God. Aaron's two remaining sons did not eat the offering as Moses commanded.
From this passage, it is important to recognize what sin does to us. It separates us from God. It destroys our relationship with GodWe must separate the common things from those of the most holy. (Lev. 10:10) We must realize that this world will distract us from the things of God. Aaron's deceased sons were misusing God's place--the tabernacle, and defiling it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts