Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Job 29-31

Job 29


Job longs for the days where he was not in troubles. He had his wife and children. He was a well known public figure. He was an advocate for the poor, and brought joy to the widow. God took care of him. God's light brightly shined on Job's path.


I, like Job, look back on my past, and the days when life seemed easier. Things were "better", but I would have missed out on the extra close intimacy that I now have with my Creator. The trials have taught me to depend on Him, and to let my eyes stay focused on Him. God and His word will be a light for my path. Even if I cannot see the light in the midst of situations, I know He is doing something wonderful amidst the storm. The storm is anything but pleasant and we all want to escape it.. but sometimes, we cannot escape the storm. The storm is what God will use to get rid of our fruitless characteristics.. those branches that produce nothing, but thorns.


Job 30


The Present


Job is laughed at, by men whose families have committed such evil. They create destruction for Job, and break his path---causing nothing but trouble. The life of Job is so different than anything else. It is nothing but problems and aching. His skin is turning black, and peeling away. He gets no rest, because of his great pain. And, "Terrors are turned upon me; my honor is pursued as by the wind, and my prosperity has passed away like a cloud. And now my soul is poured out within me; days of affliction have taken hold of me." (verses 15-16)


Job's life is completely different than it used to be. His honor is gone. His spiritual life is much different from before his trials. There are days of great agony, and feeling like God has forsaken us.. Yet at the same time, somehow God is ever present.. even when we are in great struggles, trials, and testings.


Job 31


Final Appeal


Job begins to make his appeal to God. He had made a commitment with his eyes to not look at a woman with lust. Where would God's reward for him be, otherwise? God will know Job's steps. Job goes through a series of possible scenarios that may have affected his walk. Job has acted justly, and loved others greatly. He has opened his home for the traveler, so they need not sleep outside in the cold. He has given clothing to those without any, using the wool from his sheep. He has shared his food with the fatherless. As Job pleads with God, he shows the ways that he has acted justly, but still God knew his steps! 


God knows our steps better than we do... As we examine our own faults, we need to do what Job is doing.. We need to ask God to show us our faults and how we have acted wrongly. In Psalm 139, it says: Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Ps 139:23-24)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts