Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Job 17-20

I am not sure why I have not read the suggested reading plan since Saturday night, but I have not..I think it is just from shear exhaustion. Not the greatest reason, but it seems to be the reason for getting behind. I have discovered if you miss one day, it is difficult to get back on track. I have no goal other than to dig into God's Word. I do not care how many chapters I read, or if this reading plan takes me longer than a year. It is about me choosing to not give up.  It is not about seeing how fast I can go through the entire Bible, but the process and how much God continues to teach me as the result of choosing to use this particular reading plan to go through the Bible. If I do it in a year, great. If takes me a year and a half or two years, that is okay too.


Job 17


In verses 1-3, Job really nails me to a T. I am feeling broken and alone, yet I know God is there..but it feels like He is my only support sometimes. Or, at least--it feels like I lack support in many areas. I know, there are people in my life..but, sometimes it just feels like I am very isolated and alone in my struggles. Mostly because I am the one going through my own personal struggles, and they can be very "in your face" at times..What really struck me is the desire to give up. Sometimes, this is me..which is not something I like to acknowledge. I am reminded of Peter when he sees Jesus walking on water. He could handle his circumstances of standing on the water as long as he stayed focused on Jesus, but once he took his eyes off Jesus..he began to seek. Likely if I keep my eyes on Jesus, I would not drown...but if I take my eyes off of Jesus, my circumstances will overwhelm me.


Sometimes it is a bit harder to find or remember that there is hope when situations surround you on such a deep level. I see this in Job's speak for the 17th chapter. He is in a really difficult place and can't find hope.


Job 18

Bilead begins to speak about why does Job think he/they are stupid. Then, he follows up by describing the life of those who do evil to attempt to make a point that Job must be caught by the Lord doing evil. What is interesting is Bilead says that they will not be remembered and they are "chased out of this world". When he is speaking about those who do evil, numerous things he says relates to what has been happening to Job: diseases, his children, everything being burnt up.. He ends by saying "this is what happens to people who do not know God."



Bilead is deeply insulting Job as he continues to speak about how Job must have done some sort of evil.. This just continues to prove Job's point that he didn't have any support from his friends. Some friends would go far to take care of his friends. While they left their homes and lands to be with Job, what asset are they really being? What kind of support are they really being to Job as he goes through his trials?


Job 19


Job begins to speak on how Bilead has insulted him time and time again! If Job had sin, it is his problem not theirs. They may use his troubles to explain that he must have some sin in his life. I think there is a limit to how many times to confront someone's sin. It is a very delicate matter and they have done it wrongly. If the sin is against you personally, address it once or two with witnesses. But what his friends are doing to him is just plain wrong!


Job states that God is the one who has done all of this. Taking away Job's honor, hitting him on every side, and taking away his hope.. among other things. Everyone looks upon Job as a stranger and foreigner. They make fun of him and hate him. Job feels that God is against him, and he is God's enemy.


Despite all that he has gone through, Job knows that he will still see God! And that is the excitement for him. He may be regaining his hope..


Job 20


Zophar begins to speak, because he felt offended and has to say what is on his mind. Zophar picks up where Bilead left off about the life of those who plan and do evil. They are chased away and never to be seen away, as their body wastes. Their children will have to repay what he has stolen from the poor. The man, Zophar is speaking of, loves to do what is evil and will not give it up. God will deal with him about his evilness. After committing acts of evilness, his success is gone and he is never satisfied. He will be pressed with troubles and all his problems will come down on him.


Again, they are pointing to evil desires as Job's explanation for disaster striking him and his family. In verse 23, he says: "If he does get all he wants, 
   God will throw his burning anger against him. 
   God will attack him and rain down punishment on him."


Those who do evil will be destroyed. I really do not know why Job, a righteous man, did not know that those who commit evil will suffer consequences for their actions? Zophar said the same kind of things that Bilead said about an evil man will reap troubles and problems from pursuing their own selfish, evil desires. 

I wonder if they carefully explore their own lives to see if they have sin in their own lives..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts